Sunday, February 24, 2008

1,2,3, STOKED!

Plus 1 for the JB.

What a day. Not sure if y'all are up on it, but I joined STOKED mentoring last summer. Its a non profit mentor program that matches "at risk" youth with mentors.



Anyway, Sunday was our first time up this season. It was awesome. Got up early, made some sandwiches and got going. On the way, we wrote goals for what we wanted out of the season, and wrote out some of our fears. Kevin is my mentee. We did skate mentor together in the fall, and now it's snow time.






It rained all the way up to snow summit. We were hoping it'd change to snow, cause kevin has never seen snow actually fall. Unfortunately, when we got to the mountain, it was still raining. Gooo. We busted out the lesson cards, (kevin had never gone before) and started learning. Either snowboarding has gotten easier to learn, or these kids are that good. I couldn't believe how fast Kevin learned how to handle the board.







What really worked out was that Kevin's goofy footed and so am I. By the end of the day he was linking turns and following me down the hill. Selvin, Joel's mentee rides regular, so they were able to do the same thing. I forgot my camera, otherwise y'all would be watcing a you tube video of these guys.




When it was all said and done, we had an amazing day. I can't wait till next time. Especially cause I'll have my camera.

No comments: